An enchanted evening for the endangered turtle
The Annual Turtle Benefit Ball is promising to be another evening of fun, feasting and most importantly, gathering much needed support for turtle conservation in Fiji.
The event scheduled for the 7th June, 2008, has already attracted commitments from the following:
- Beachcomber Island Resort
- Communications Fiji Limited
- Castaway Island Resort
- Hideaway Resort
- Holiday Inn Suva
- Kundan Singh Limited
- Laje Rotuma
- Lagoon Resort
- Musket Cove Resort
- Natural Waters of Viti Limited
- New Peking
- Pure Fiji
- Skin Deep Fiji
- Sonaisali Island Resort Fiji
- Star Printery Limited
- The Pearl Resort & Golf
- Pacific Manufacturers Limited
- Pacific Coatings Limited
The inaugural Turtle Benefit Ball held in 2007, attracted more than 200 guests from different professions and repute to aid WWF Fiji and partners in their efforts to protect the endangered sea turtle – a cultural icon for the island nation. The Ball raised a total of FJD 10,000 that supported several key activities such as:
- nesting beach surveys during December 2007
- community road shows in Vanua Levu aimed at primary and secondary school students
- national high school art and poem competition
- the first ever satellite tagging of hawksbill turtles on Yadua Island and the Mamanuca group
The 2008 Turtle Benefit Ball is aiming to again raise more public awareness and corporate engagement to continue the momentum of activities enabled by the funds raised in the previous ball.
This year’s theme is linked to the International Year of the Reef and particularly looks to illustrate the important role of turtles in maintaining the health of coral reefs. Turtles have recently been heralded as the emerging ‘canaries’ of climate change particularly as they are a good way to study the impacts of climate on coral reefs and associated ecosystems.
Call 3315533 and speak to Akisi / Jone for ticket / table reservations or further enquiries.